Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Too Much Money"...what money?

Usually tax season is the most wonderful time of the year.  The government gives us back some of the money that they took from us throughout the previous year, and it often comes at a time when it's needed the most.  It's a time to "get ahead" on bills, or to simply put some money away for a "rainy" day. 

This year it looks like tax season is not going to do much for us, which really bums me out, makes me sad, and stresses me out.  We've looked at different ways to file that will give us the most money back, and at one point it looked like we'd be getting quite a bit back....it was read wrong; if we file that way we would OWE, not RECEIVE, so that way was thrown out.  After going through them last night, it looks like we will hardly get any money back at all. 

I don't do my own taxes.  I don't understand the process, the termonology, any of it.  I've been lucky enough to have people around me who understand it and do it for me.  When I asked Nick why we would hardly be getting any money back he told me that we are making too much money and are apparently in a higher tax bracket which means we don't get as much back.  I heard this phrase earlier in the week when I was asking about child care assistance for Brandon.  We make too much money.  I've heard this so much throughout the week that I think I'm going to throw up with disgust if I hear it again.

Where is this "too much money" that we make?  Last time I looked we struggle to pay the bills just like a lot of people in this country.  We aren't swimming in extra money.  We don't have cable, or all the latest technology gadgets like iphones, ipads, or ipods.  We don't spend money frivolously because we don't have it to spend.  There are weeks when we can barely buy a little food and gas to get us through each week.  So someone, please tell me, WHERE IS THIS "TOO MUCH MONEY"?

I believe there is more money out there for us to receive; that we're missing something, somewhere.  So we're going to take our tax information to someone (who doesn't charge much) and have them look at it for a second opinion.  I've never done this before, but the return amount is SO RIDICULOUS that I just refuse to believe that's all we will get back.

1 comment:

  1. Make sure to look at the "Earned Income Tax Credit" information. I don't know much about this, but Dave just did our taxes yesterday, and that's where we got a lot of our refund from. Good luck! Taxes are no fun unless you get money back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...