Saturday, April 9, 2011

Star Wars Saturday


Another installment from 78 Reasons to Hate Episode 1 brings us to the Nitpickers guide to Episode 4:  The Empire Strikes Back. 

Once again, remember that I didn't write this, the clever guys from the 78 Reasons website did.  But I COMPLETELY agree with them!



Nitpick #4
Emperor and Vader Dialogue
The dialogue has changed. For the better? C'mon, you know better than that. Here is the new dialogue:

DARTH VADER:   What is thy bidding my master?
EMPEROR PALPATINE:  There is a great disturbance in the force
DARTH VADER:  I have felt it.
EMPEROR PALPATINE:  We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the death star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.
DARTH VADER:  How is that possible?
EMPEROR PALPATINE:  Search your feelings, Lord Vader, you will know it to be true. He could destroy us.
DARTH VADER:  He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
EMPEROR PALPATINE:  The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.
DARTH VADER:  If he could be turned, he could become a powerful ally.
EMPEROR PALPATINE:  Yes, he would be a great asset. Can it be done?
DARTH VADER:  He will join us or die master.

"How is that possible?" How is that possible? We are told in the opening scroll and throughout the entire movie that it is a relentless pursuit of Luke Skywalker that is driving Vader. Vader even says: "That is the system. And I'm sure Skywalker is with them." If he doesn't think that Luke is his son then who does he think Luke is? Does Vader remember his original name? Is he just really dumb? Why would he be in pursuit of Luke Skywalker if he thought that the surname they share was just a funny coincidence?

I know if I found out about someone named Chefelf, Jr. who was approximately 20-25 years younger than me it may occur to me that he is my son, even if I didn't have any children that I knew about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...