Saturday, July 30, 2011
While promoting his new movie Cowboys and Aliens, which I can't wait to see, Harrison Ford visited the Jimmy Kimmel show. Apparently he and Chewbacca have some unresolved issues. I thought this was funny, and a little disturbing at the same time! Harrison Ford does a great job of making me actually believe he's mad at Chewbacca!
Oh, and for any other Star Wars geeks out there: this confrontation couldn't actually happen because in the expanded universe novels, Chewbacca was killed off! I still can't believe how many characters the authors have axed! Anyway....
And since I'm so excited about Cowboys and Aliens, here's a movie trailer. Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig in the same movie, come on, I am in heaven! It looks like it will be a very different movie, which is why it looks like it will be AWESOME!
Friday, July 29, 2011
Years ago I was a HUGE baseball fan. I fell in love with the Atlanta Braves and watched them constantly on TV. Over the years I stopped keeping up with baseball, mostly because the network TBS stopped broadcasting Braves games. Click here to read all about my obsession!
Anyway, I saw a clip the other day that blew my mind. This has to be the WORST call in baseball history....and it helped the Braves win.
Jimmy Kimmel (dressed up like Daniel Craig in the new movie Cowboys and Aliens) describes it perfectly.
Is it obvious to everyone else that this umpire should be fired? The ball was CLEARLY at the plate LONG before the base runner made it, and the catcher CLEARLY tagged the base runner out LONG before he reached home plate! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ALL ABOUT?!? Wrong, so very wrong!
Happy Friday everyone!
Hello, once again. I can't believe I'm already at the end of week eight. Wow.
This week felt like a very slow weight loss week, but it actually wasn't. Nothing really fancy happened, as I have no other clothes to try and fit into!
I ended week eight loosing 2.2 pounds, for a total loss of 18.2 pounds! Not bad for two months of work...and oh yeah, it was work! 9.6 lost the first month, 8.6 lost the second month.
Monday I start going back to "real" work again. This means I'll be eating breakfast about two hours earlier than I usually do, which means I'll be hungry earlier. I won't have much time for lunch, so I'll be stocking up on Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones meals.
I've been exercising later in the day this past week to prepare myself for my new work schedule. Exercise will now be done much later in the day than it has been in the past seven weeks. I'm hoping that I can keep up my momentum. Being more active at work, walking around and what not, should help with that. Let's just say I'm nervous....I'm very nervous! Week nine will be a week of adjustments.
Here's to another great week!
Friday, July 22, 2011
As some of you know, Blogger has been a pain in the butt this week. For some reason I an unable to get back into the saved drafts I've written to finish and post them. Instead, they magically disappear, or I'm not even let back into the post. I've written week seven twice now; this will be my third attempt. Since I know I'll be posting this IMMEDIATELY, I shouldn't loose it, however now I have to try and REMEMBER the whole week...fun, fun. Here we go again:
It looks like my body has finally caught on to this weight loss thing. I've had an INCREDIBLE week, and I still can't believe it.
Here are the highlights from the week, (since I can't access my earlier post):
Wednesday I tried on the pair of khaki capri shorts that two weeks ago finally fit perfectly to discover that THEY ARE NOW TOO BIG! I have one pair left that have always been a little too tight around my very gluteous maximus. I decided to try them on, and they fit! Could not believe it.
Since I was in an ambitious mood that morning, I also decided to pull out a shirt from the "Can't Fit It But Kept It" drawer and give it a try. To my astonishment, the shirt fit too! I am one, almost two shirt sizes smaller, and almost a pant size smaller. I started pretty much busting out of the pants I have now, meaning I should've been wearing a size bigger, but refused to. So, this is awesome.
I am now on my last pair of capri's that fit, and then I'm stuck until I get my first paycheck. Oh well, guess my clothes will just have to hang on me for a while! But oh, to get to ENJOY shopping again! I can't wait!
I've decided to try exercising in the evening hours this week, to see how my body reacts to it. I'm very nervous about starting work again, how it will affect my weight loss. Luckily, I've been able to do it.
The scale has been beyond amazing this week. Last Friday I had lost 12.2 pounds. I usually see the scale move slower in the beginning of the week, but week seven has been a steady weight loss. By Sunday, another pound down. Tuesday, another pound lost, and Wednesday another 0.4 lost. I was at 14.6 just praying to make it to 15 pounds lost. And then Thursday something VERY unexpected happened. I stepped on the scale and thought it was lying to me....1.6 pounds lost, for a total of 16.2!! I completely skipped my 15 pound mark and just kept on going! After a very slow start in July, I've lost 6.2 pounds in the past TWO WEEKS! At this rate I'm on track to loosing 20 pounds by the end of July! And if I'm able to continue this speed once school starts, I'll be at my goal weight by the middle of November!
I'm loving this. Whenever I think I'm too tired, or too sore to exercise, I do it anyway because I want the scale to keep moving. It's great motivation.
20 pounds down by the end of week eight? We will see.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Ok, I need people with Blogger experience to give me any advice they might have.
Since Blogger updated a few weeks ago, I am denied access to the saved drafts that I'm writing. On the occassion that I'm let into the draft, they are magically deleted, making me absolutely want to SCREAM! There are three posts I've been working on, which have taken a LONG time, and they keep getting deleted!
I've tried Google to find answers, but I've had no luck. Does anybody out there have any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?
Written by Wendy and Nick at 10:42 AM
It's back to the 1980s today, to a song that I've always enjoyed. Crowded House had a very popular song titled Don't Dream It's Over.
First up, the version by Crowded House:
Next up, a version by a group called Sixpence None The Richer. The group sounds familiar, but I've never heard their music before....sorry.
Which version do I prefer? I actually really like both, which surprised me. But in the end, the harmonies on the chorus of Crowded House's version win for me. When they sing, "to build a wall between us"....chills, every time!
So, who sings it better?
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Ten...well 15 Things I've Learned Since I Began My Weight Loss Challenge
Since beginning my weight loss challenge seven weeks ago, my mind has been opened to many new things. Here they are, in no particular order.
1. Vegetables are my friend, not my enemy!Growing up, I didn't eat vegetables at all. My grandmother forced my mother to eat them, making her hate them; so we weren't forced to eat them. Unfortunately that meant we didn't eat ANY. I've discovered the best side dishes in the world involve asparagus, red and green bell peppers, and red potatos. I also LOVE tomatos, but aren't they considered a fruit? Hardly any calories, but full of taste, they help fill your stomach up and provide you with the nutrition you need.
2. You have to splurge occasionally or you will go insane..and there is such a thing as "healthy" junk food!We all know how much I love Dove chocolate. I still eat it, but only occasionally. Instead of buying bags of it like I used to, I now buy the candy bar, break it into two or three helpings, and put them into individual bags. Then I can have two or three days worth of glorious chocolate without eating 1,000s of calories in one sitting.
100 calorie bags of Pop Secret popcorn are FANTASTIC. I've been eating them for years now. They are light and don't have all the garbage on them that other bagged popcorn has. One time I couldn't find Pop Secret in the store, so I bought the "normal" Orville Redenbacher kind. I wanted to throw up! It was so full of grease and butter, it was disgusting.
I've also found healthier ways to eat ice cream. Weight Watchers sells 100 calorie English Toffee Crunch bars and they are SO GOOD! Healthy Choice also offers a delicious, low calorie chocolate bar.
3. While eating out, it is possible to eat healthy and not leave the restaurant starvingOn our anniversary we decided to go out to eat. I did a lot of research before we decided to go to Applebees. They have a Weight Watchers menu that offers dishes that are a total of only 550 calories...that is amazing. I was able to eat steak, covered in a fantastic sauce, and steamed vegetables. This is when I was introduced to red potatoes and became hooked on them.
Before I go out to eat, I always check the nutrition content on websites. I love that feature and I'm thrilled to see so many restaurants have it. I went to McDonalds the other day, and my dinner was about 800 calories. That's a bit much, but I hadn't eaten a lot that day, so I had the calories to spare.
Another way to cut calories when you're in a restaurant....DON'T DRINK SODA! Just keep drinking water. Not only will it help fill up your stomach, but it can help you not order an appetizer, which is always difficult for me.
4. It's amazing all the foods you discover you love when healthy eating is your goalI've never been a real fan of fish....unless it was a fish stick! My mom eats salmon all the time, but I always thought it smelled horrible; and I do mean horrible. Then I began loosing weight. Salmon is very healthy, and doesn't have many calories in it at all. I found a seasoning that tastes great, and now salmon has become a staple to my new eating habits.
5. Exercise seems like a horrible chore at first, but once you make it a routine, you feel empty if you haven't done itWhen I started out, I wanted to DIE. My body ached, I couldn't breathe, I felt like a moron! But over the past seven weeks something interesting has happened. Not only has it become easier to exercise (which is expected), but if I don't exercise, I'm finding that I WANT to! I mentioned in another post that last week after spending the day at my sister's house I came home and found myself bored. I hadn't exercised that day, so at 7pm I laced up my shoes and put my hour in. Not only did I feel great, but I felt like I accomplished something good. And the next day the scale went down.
6. Water is the greatest gift in the world...and your bladder will adjust!Water is a great way to be refreshed, and fill up your stomach. I have two liter bottles that I fill up throughout the day. When I wake up in the morning, I begin drinking water. Instead of milk with breakfast, it's water. I'm usually able to drink a liter of water before I exercise around 9 or 10am. I drink another liter during and after my exercise so that by the time I'm done, I've already fufilled my water intake for the day. I'm sure that will change once school starts, but for now, it's great. I also keep a water bottle with me after dinner. Instead of munching on junk food, I continue filling up on water.
It was difficult at first, and my bladder wanted to explode, but my body has adjusted. I've always enjoyed water, so I've never felt like I was drowning myself.
(Oh, I wish this was my weight!)
7. Once the scale starts to move down, eating junk food just doesn't seem worth it anymoreI've found that as I started loosing weight, when I would go to eat REAL junk food, I'd suddenly remember how hard I worked to loose that weight. The junk food didn't look as tempting anymore. Again, this doesn't happen all the time. But when I do splurge on "real" junk food, I get smaller portions instead. A mini blizzard from Dairy Queen, the smallest cup of ice cream from Cold Stone. Let's face it: a girl has to have to good stuff once in a while!
8. Exercising with weights (aka Circuit Training) is the greatest discovery since sliced bread!I began using The Firm during week six of my challenge. From 7/11/2011 until today (7/18/2011), I've lost 3 pounds. That's 3 pounds in one week...it's also the most weight I've lost in one week since my very first week. You burn more calories when you use weights, and you begin to sculpt your body. Needless to say, I'll never use another program again!
9. Fat free/Low Calorie doesn't mean it has no tasteI was afraid to try fat free sour cream, fat free cream cheese, and skim milk. I always joked that skim milk was just water. But when I tried them, I discovered that they didn't taste any different than the regular versions that are packed with calories and fat! And since I wasn't eating big portions of these products like I did before my challenge, my taste buds easily accepted the new version.
10. Calorie counting is extremely importantNot everyone may feel this way, and that's fine. I've found that if I don't keep track of my calorie/fat intake for each day, it's too easy to go over the alotted amount, halting my weight loss. I've also discovered that by paying attention to the calories and serving size of the foods I eat, I make better decisions about what goes into my mouth.
11. Chew your food until it's almost mush in your mouthBelieve it or not, but doing this will help you eat slower, which in turn makes you feel full faster. As a whole, people inhale their food and eat too much of it. We're advised not to eat while watching TV because we'll keep eating; sit at the table as a family when you eat because it encourages conversation that will help you eat slower. Your stomach and brain need about 20 minutes to talk with each other before you finally start to feel full. Help the process by really chewing up your food. You'll find that you aren't eating as much.
12. Whether you weigh yourself daily or weekly, do it at the same time
This will differ for every person. I weigh myself first thing in the morning, before I've had anything to eat or drink. Out of curiousity I've tried weighing myself in the afternoon...it wasn't pretty. From first thing in the morning til the afternoon I'd put on about two, maybe three pounds! I decided, for the sake of my sanity, that it was best to stick with the early morning weigh in!
13. When you step on the scale, assume that you've probably gained weight.I weight myself each and every day. Some people might think this isn't healthy. I've found that it helps motivate me. If I've gained weight, I look back at what I ate the day before. Doing this helps keep me honest and away from junk food. The LAST thing I want is the scale to creep up. But if it does, I'm the one to blame. And by keeping the mentality that the scale will probably go up, I'm not as disappointed if it does, and I feel even better if I've lost weight!
14. Loosing weight is the "easy" part, maintaining is the struggleHow many times have we all been here; we loose a significant amount of weight, only to find that we can't fit into our clothing anymore? (I've been there PLENTY of times!) What we forget is that this isn't just a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Once we hit our goal weight, if we stop exercising and eating correctly, the weight will all come back!
15. There's no rush to weight loss.
Set realistic goals and be prepared to revisit them throughout the journey. The hardest part of all this is the fact that I want to be 60 pounds lighter RIGHT NOW! All that mentality does is frustrate me because that simply isn't going to happen. Taking it slow is better, and will help me maintain in the future.
I'm officially done preaching, but I hope this was helpful in some way!
Monday, July 18, 2011
Brandon was reading the story Dumbo out of a Disney book the other night, and I was reminded of one of the greatest, sweetest, sadest songs in Disney history.
Mrs. Jumbo (Dumbo's mother) has been labelled a "mad elephant" because she attacked people at the circus who were being cruel to Dumbo. Separated from her mom, Timothy the Mouse takes Dumbo to see her.
For your Musicals Monday, Baby Mine. I DARE you not to cry, or get even a little verklempt (as Linda Richman aka Mike Myers would say on Coffee Talk!)
Saturday, July 16, 2011
Friday, July 15, 2011
Week five I lost 1.6 pounds. Monday I put 1.2 back on and have spent the entire week trying to loose it again. So, instead of getting closer to 13 pounds lost, I was back at 11 pounds lost. I've continued tracking my food, exercising, everything. Guess I just need to realize that it's going to take longer to loose weight than I wanted. I'm still on track to loose 5 pounds this month, which is really good. At that speed, I'll have lost 40 pounds by the end of December.....fingers crossed. By the end of March I could be at my goal.
I was very proud of myself yesterday though (Wednesday). I was gone all day and didn't have the opportunity to exercise in the morning like I usually do. Last night I decided to exercise because....wait for it...I WAS BORED! Well, that and the reason that I REALLY want the scale to move down instead of up! It was a chance to see how much energy I have at night since once school starts the end of August I'll have to exercise at night. It wasn't that bad. I'm hopeful that I will be able to continue with exercising!
Ok, I guess I need to stop complaining. I have another chart I made to track my weight. Each Friday I put my weight in the chart and it calculates how much I've lost, my BMI (body mass index), etc. Well, I stepped on the scale today and holy cow, I lost 1.2 pounds! I've lost 2.2 pounds this week, putting me at a total loss of 12.2 pounds!!! I've now discovered something new. There's something about Thursday and Friday that makes my body loose ALL the weight for the entire week in those two days!
I have a pair of khaki capri shorts that I've been dying to fit back into. When I tried them on two weeks ago I could get them to zip up, but if I sat down I felt like I was going to die! Yesterday I decided to try them on again. Not only could I zip them up, I could sit COMFORTABLY in them, and for THE ENTIRE DAY! I'm so excited because this means I'm getting closer to a smaller size! When I started loosing weight, I was almost at a larger size, now I'm almost two sizes smaller than the larger size!! (Maybe someday I'll admit to everyone what that larger size would have been.....but not until I reach my weight loss goal!)
Look out 15 pounds...I'm coming for you, I'm coming for you quickly!!
Yeah, it's Friday! It's been a while since I've had a REALLY good laugh, so I'm turning to the show that always makes me laugh, Whose Line Is It Anyway.
In today's clip, the game Song Styles goes hilariously wrong when Wayne can't spell the name Howard correctly, and the keyboard somehow speeds itself up during the song, making it almost impossible to sing.
Have a great weekend!
Friday, July 8, 2011
I'm so glad that I started keeping track of my weight loss using a blog. I've now discovered that Saturday and Sunday are VERY BAD days for me when it comes to weight loss. I put almost 1/2 my lost weight for the previous week BACK on during those two days!
This has been a HORRIBLE week for me, weight loss wise. After the weight gain on Saturday and Sunday, it's been downhill from there. This week I've gone from loosing 9.6 pounds to putting on 1.2 pounds making my total loss (as of Thursday), 8.4 pounds.
I've been in a "not wanting to do things" mood all week. Dirty kitchen? Forget it....I don't want to deal with it. Laundry to clean and fold? Whatever. The only thing I have done this week is exercise. Besides eating like a pig last Friday and paying for it all week, I had Panda Express last night, which just added another 1/2 pound onto the scale!
Waking up this morning (Thursday), I decided it's ok to have a bad week. There's no time limit to weight loss, despite the fact that I want it to melt off my body. (melt....like chocolate....ooo, chocolate! STOP IT WENDY, IT'S ONLY 8AM!!)
I found another DVD that I'm going to begin using. It's called The Firm. I got it a few years ago and have never really taken advantage of it. It's an entire system of four DVDs that combine cardio with weight training. It claims to burn up to three times more fat than cardio alone. (I don't have all the DVDs on the website....they've changed the program since I bought these)
The workouts are twice as long as Gilad, so I'm going to give the longest one a try today and see if it kills me. I need to pump up my workouts if I'm going to loose the way I want to. Most days I'm able to stay way under my calorie count, I'm just having trouble staying away from garbage food this week.
Stepped on the scale today (Friday) and almost fell off of it. I dropped 1.6 pounds in one day! Since I'd put weight on this week, it didn't really do much; however, I'm finally at 10 pounds lost!
The Firm DVD was wonderful! It didn't feel like it was an hour at all. And this morning, I can tell that I worked my body yesterday, and I love that feeling. My motivation is back (I suppose loosing 1.6 pounds in one day will do that to a person!), and ready for week six. I'm going to stay away from the fast food and instead, buy other food to indulge in!
Thursday, July 7, 2011
When it comes to my computer, I HATE IT when updates change the way pages look.
I just came onto my blog to work on a post, and OH MY GOODNESS, Blogger has COMPLETELY changed! The blog itself is the same, but the layout of how I write, save, add gadgets, check stats, etc is all different! Why, why, why do the powers that be change this stuff around? I HATE having to figure out how to use it again, and later discover what isn't available to be used anymore.
And to make it a little worse, the new layout is UGLY! Hopefully I will come to like it.....we shall see.
Written by Wendy and Nick at 6:26 PM