Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

Photobucket


10 Great Ewan McGregor Movies


*First, a disclaimer:  I haven't seen every Ewan McGregor film, which is why the title isn't 10 Best Ewan McGregor movies.  This list is based on the movies that I have seen! 

I love actors who can do all genres of movie:  comedy, thriller, drama, action, musical, and make it look simple.  In my opinion, Ewan McGregor is one of those actors.


A Life Less Ordinary - 1997
I just recently saw this movie.  I didn't know if I was going to like it, seeing how it was such an odd movie concept.  Angels come down to help Robert (McGregor) and Celine (Diaz) fall in love.  Robert is a down on his luck guy who kidnaps Celine, and she finds that she enjoys the ride.  However, I laughed throughout this entire movie!  The telephone booth scene along with watching him sing made this movie worth it.





Moulin Rouge - 2001
Holy cow, this movie is AMAZING!  Not only is the music so creatively put together, but who knew that Ewan could sing, and sing well!?!  Visually stunning, with a wonderful story of how love can conquer all, this musical easily tops my list.  Ewan simply melts my heart throughout this entire movie.  His incredible voice, the way he looks at Satine, all of it.  This is the movie where I fell in love with Ewan.  Elephant Love Medley, Come What May, and Roxanne are three of the musical highlights for me.





Down With Love - 2003
I could watch this movie every week!  I love Ewan in these types of roles.  Playing "the ladies man", Catcher Block, he charms his way through this entire comedy...and I love every minute of it!  A great throw back to the 60s movies with Rock Hudson and Doris Day, Ewan and Rene Zellweger have amazing chemistry.  It looks like Hollywood has caught on that this man can sing....I believe this is his 4th or 5th time singing in a movie!  Below the trailer is the song Here's To Love, found on the DVD.









Big Fish - 2003
This was such a sweet movie.  Directed by Tim Burton, it was very unique, often odd, but a great story.  Ewan plays the younger version of Edward Bloom, a man who tells his life story to his son.  However, his son believes he is lying, as his stories sound like "tall tales".  I cried my eyes out at the end of this movie, and even Nick liked it....and that's saying A LOT since it's hard to find movies that he enjoys!





Revenge of The Sith - 2005
Of the all the Star Wars prequel movies, this was my favorite.  I loved how Ewan McGregor set out to mirror Alec Guiness (the original Obi-Wan Kenobi) as much as possible since it was his last time to "get it right".  Click here to watch that wonderful clip.  The fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader/Anakin was great.  Where they technically should've fried many times while fighting directly over lava, you could feel the emotion Obi-Wan was feeling.





The Island - 2005
*There will be spoilers here, sorry!

I love a good action movie, and this was just that.  I didn't have to think too much, I could just sit back and watch.  At one point the movie gets a little wrapped up in the action....the main characters should've died many times!  I love when Ewan plays roles without his accent.  And then half way through the movie we get to see TWO Ewan McGregor's...my heart skipped a beat!  I had this movie figured out pretty early, but it was a blast to watch.





Miss Potter - 2006
Teaming up again, but this time for a wonderful children's movie, Renee Zellweger and Ewan star in this movie about the writer of the Peter Rabbit books.  She plays Beatrix Potter, and he plays her publisher/beau, Norman.  I LOVED this movie.  Renee and Ewan have brought back their fantastic chemistry, and I just found myself completely caught up in this wonderful story.  To my delight, Ewan sings again, and to sound totally cheesy:  I laughed, I cried, and I cried some more!  I wish Ewan would do more movies like this!





The Men Who Stare At Goats - 2009
This was a very odd movie.  Supposedly based on a true story, McGregor is a journalist off to cover stories about the war in Afghanistan.  It was funny at times, but there were WAY too many Star Wars references, and that's saying a lot coming from me!  (The army called certain soldiers "Jedi Warriors")  Maybe if the man who had just finished playing Obi-Wan Kenobi wasn't in the movie it wouldn't have bothered me so much!  George Clooney was hilarious, and I give them props for using Boston's More Than a Feeling!







Angels & Demons - 2009
*There may be a spoiler here....sorry!

I didn't see The DaVinci Code, so I was unfamiliar with this story.  Yes, I was only interested in it because of Ewan McGregor!  However, I was pleasantly surprised.  I found myself enjoying this movie.  From the very beginning, something seemed shady about Ewan's character, Camerlengo Patrick McKenna.  I won't tell you if I was right or not, but he delivered another great performance.





The Ghost Writer - 2010
This movie drew my attention because not only did it have Ewan McGregor in it, but Pierce Brosnan as well.  I loved this movie, it was a great thriller.  It was obvious from the beginning what the fate of the first writer was, but the ending still was a surprise to me.  (I don't always catch on quickly!!)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...