Sunday, October 2, 2011

Working Vs. Stay-at-Home Moms




I have a feeling that I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this one, but oh well.....BRING IT ON!

Back in college, before marriage and becoming a mother, I wrote a paper about the controversy surrounding working and stay-at-home moms.  It's been on my mind A LOT the past few weeks, as I've been feeling incredibly overwhelmed and at my whits end.

Below, I've scanned the paper I wrote, since it's easier than retyping it!  Yes, I had to scan it because it was typed before the internet was popular, and when I still used a word processor and saved articles on a disk instead of a computer!  Man, I feel old! 

It's in the biggest print I could get it in....bare with me.  It's also a long paper, but I believe it's worth the read!

















Ok, so that was my paper BEFORE I had a child.  It was made clear in my last paragraph that I clearly thought working wasn't going to be a problem.

I've been on both sides of this controversy.  I worked as a substitute teacher until Brandon was born, and then didn't work afterwards.  I've been the stay-at-home mom.  I don't remember much of it because after Brandon was born, my health began to decline and I was having seizures on a regular basis:  I probably couldn't have worked even if I wanted to!

When Brandon was about two, I slowly began working again.  I worked a few hours as an After School Program Teacher, and then began working as a Kindergarten Aide.  That was no problem because they were simple jobs that didn't require much.   

We moved to Utah, and I began working pretty much every day as a substitute teacher, taking on the long term substitute teaching jobs.  These were more of a committment, but I was able to leave it at the end of the day because I had plenty of time at school to figure out the next day.

Summer came, I wasn't working again, and found time for not only Brandon, but for myself.  Granted, I was ready to ship Brandon off to Timbuktu by the time summer was over, but the point is, we had PLENTY of time together!

And then working full time began in September.  It is kicking my butt!  I'm up at 5am, off to preschool by 6:20am, straight to work to miss traffic, on my feet all day, done with school at 4:15pm, back to pick up Brandon, and home by 5pm.

That's when my second job starts.  Dinner, entertainment for a demanding, tired, grumpy four year old, grade school papers, (among other school tasks) bathe four year old, clean up dinner, put four year old to bed, and by the time that all happens, I'm ready to fall asleep by 8pm....and quite often, that's exactly what I do!

I miss the hour I took each day for myself.....to exercise, to cook healthy food, to relax! 

Both working and stay-at-home moms work hard.  However, today, I would LOVE to be a stay-at-home mom; and I can't believe I'm saying that!  I would LOVE to be home to keep the house in order, since messy kitchens, laundry all over the place, and complete disorganization makes me insane!  Healthy dinners?  Check- I would completely be on top of it!  Weight loss?  Check- it would still be happening because I would have a little TIME for MYSELF!

I keep hoping that work will slow down, but it hasn't happened yet.  I know that it will, I just don't know WHEN it will!  I was telling Nick the other day that I only have enough brain to focus on work right now; there's no room for anything else.  Until that slows down, I don't really exist!  Heaven only knows how crazy I would be if I had more than one child......kudos to those mothers!

I LOVE MY JOB.....I just need there to be three of four more of me...or more hours in a day.  Maybe we could try cloning me and see what happens?!?  One clone could be responsible for keeping the house clean and running all the errands, another would be in charge of meals, and another would be responsible for all the extra school stuff I have to do each day.  That would leave time for me to be able to exercise each day and actually spend some quality time with my family!  Hey, it could work!!

Moms:  if you're able to stay home, be grateful.  Smoke is practically coming out my ears because I'm moving so quickly!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...