Saturday, June 29, 2013

I Am NOT a Bigot!!

WARNING:  I am so FIRED UP RIGHT NOW, it's a little ridiculous.


I was reading a post on Facebook this morning from the Protection of Marriage Coalition group (AKA prop 8).  Stupid me, I chose to read the comments.  I was STUNNED by how mean, cruel, and down-right vicious people were in what they were saying.  People from BOTH sides of the issue were showing their complete intolerance for each other.  It made me very upset.

A lot of the comments from those who've been against Prop 8, and for the legalization of all marriages, were calling those who stand with Prop 8 bigots.  I've heard this horrible adjective A LOT this week as the media, and people on Facebook have described those who stand with Prop 8.

According to Wikipedia:

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, and intolerance on the basis of a person's ethnicityreligionnational origingendersexual orientationdisabilitysocioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

I may believe differently than you on this issue.  I may believe that marriage should be between ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN, but that DOES NOT MEAN that I am a bigot!  I don't treat those who  choose to live their life different than mine with hatred or contempt.  It's called agency...and it's something that everyone on this planet has.  I have friends and relatives who are gay.  Do I agree with their life choices?  No.  Do I treat them any differently than my friends and relatives who are straight?  NO!!

I'm not intolerant.  Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions and to express them.  We don't have to agree with each other either.  It's when the name calling begins that I have a problem.  Those who choose to name call show that they are the intolerant people.  There's no reason for people to have to lower their standards and be cruel.  It NEVER helps a situation, and often makes things even worse.

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I've been taught, and believe in ways of life that may not agree with how you choose to live your life.  THAT'S FINE!  They released a statement about this court decision.  It was simple, humble, and well said.  You can read it here.

Many of the comments were telling those for Prop 8 to "give it up", and "let it go".  Let me ask those people something:  back in 2008 when the MAJORITY OF CALIFORNIANS voted for Prop 8, did you "give it up", and "let it go"?  NO, YOU KEPT FIGHTING FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVED IN!  That's all we who believe in Prop 8 continue to do.  We fight for what we believe the same way that you fight for what you believe.

Here's where another sad issue arises.  How come when we fight, or we don't agree with you, we are considered bigots, but when you fight, or don't agree with us you aren't given the same label?  It's a horrible sign of hypocrisy in this country.  But I digress.

My only hope and prayer is that somehow we can find a way to disagree peacefully.  Whichever way this finally ends, someone will be upset.  Oh well, that's life.  But rubbing noses into it by name calling, no matter WHO IS DOING THE NAME CALLING, won't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...