Monday, March 24, 2014

30 Days of Music: Day 1

A Song That Annoys You




I don't keep up with most movies that are currently popular.  So when I started to hear about this movie Frozen, I wasn't really interested in it.  And then I began to hear all about a song from the movie titled "Let it Go".  It was suddenly ALL OVER THE INTERNET.  People were making their own versions of it, and EVERY CHILD ON THE PLANET was having their version posted to Facebook.  It has become the equivalent of "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion, only 17 years later.....WAY OVER DONE!  And that says a lot, because I happen to really love that song!

Until today, I had never heard this song.  I knew that John Travolta apparently butchered the name of the singer when he introduced her at the Academy Awards, but that's really all I knew about it.  So I decided to finally figure out what the heck has the whole world so obsessed with this song.

First, I listened to the version from the movie.



Really?  This is the song that currently has the world going crazy?  155 MILLION hits on YouTube? I'm sorry, but this so is SOOOO ANNOYING!  I don't know what the movie is about, maybe that would help put the song into context, but her voice is obnoxious and completely kills it for me.  The melody is great, but I was about ready to turn it off half way through.  So I tried to find another version.  I listened to the Demi Lovato version....no better.

Then I found a version by Alex Boye, a musician who has worked with The Piano Guys.  I was hopeful that I would like this version.



I liked this version MUCH better, but there wasn't enough of Alex in it for me.  Lexi Walker's voice was much easier to listen to, and didn't annoy me nearly as much as the original version.  So it was once again back to YouTube to discover if there was ANY version of this song that I liked.

The Piano Guys have also done this song.



FINALLY, a version I can get behind!  Maybe it was just getting rid of the singing; I don't know what it is, but this version didn't make me want to puke, and I enjoyed listening to it.

What I do know is this:  It's time for the world to LET IT GO when it comes to this song......it's annoying!!!


2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I think it's a beautiful song, but overused. The guy playing the cello, Steven Nelson, is my sisters-in-law brother. Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAY OVERDONE!!! I love the movie but so tired of hearing the songs everywhere!!! I love the version with Alex and Lexi and the Piano Guys version so nice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...