Wednesday, April 2, 2014

30 Days of Music: Day 10

What is a Fanilow?




I don't watch Glee, but when I came across this clip, I knew this would be a post I added to this challenge.  It describes how I feel about Barry Manilow PERFECTLY!!



I have loved Manilow for years.  My mom used to listen to him when I was younger, and I caught the Fanilow bug when I got a little older.  He is under appreciated, and has done so much for music, it's crazy.  Known for his power ballads, and smooth voice, he's been touring and writing since the 1970s.  He is one of the artists that just keeps getting better and better with age!

One of his first, and biggest hits, was "Mandy".




Another one of his early, big hits, is "Could it Be Magic?"  The piano melody on this piece is incredible.




I don't really know why I've always liked this next song, "Ships".  I think it's because in a weird way it reminds me of the lack of relationship I have with my father.  Whatever the reason, I love this song.




Another power house ballad, "Weekend in New England" is another early song presented by Manilow.      




Back in 2001, Barry Manilow made an album titled "At The Mayflower".  The premise behind the album was that each song was about a different apartment inside a complex.  "Some Bar by The Harbor" is my favorite song off that album.  It is Manilow at his best, providing an incredible melody with power house music.  My favorite parts are right after he sings, "With you on the shore"....the piano melody after that is breathtaking.  My other favorite part is when he sings, "Sweet child, gone a mile"...the drum break between those two phrases is fabulous!



Sailin' can save me
Or I drown evermore
But I'm on the waves
With you on the shore

Never mind one fine day
In some bar by the harbor
I'll find you
There you'll be as you were
Corner stool by the jukebox
Waitin'' for me
I can remember

Sweet child, gone a mile
Swayin' your head
To the crazy ragtime
Sayin', "Hey you got a quarter?
Hey, you look familiar
Hey, you got a quarter?
Let's dance to the ragtime"

Slow down, don't time fly
Chased your smile
To some cold dingy attic
Now memories of a room we shared
Heaven and home to me
Longer and longer ago
I can remember

Time's up
Callin' ships all of the sounds
Of a restless harbor
You said, "Hey you look familiar
Come on you remember
Hey, you got a quarter?
Let's dance to the ragtime"

Sailin' has saved me
From drownin' evermore
But I'm on the waves
And you on the shore
Never mind one fine day
In some bar by the harbor
I'll find you
Boozy, scared, breakin' down
Tellin' the bouncer be cool
'Cause you're waitin' for me
Like I been dreamin'

That's you, swingin' 'round
Pushin' your way
Like a star to the jukebox
Sayin,' "Hey ya' got a quarter?
Hey, don't you remember?
Let's dance to the ragtime"
Hey, ya' got a quarter?
Hey, don't you remember?
Why must I remember?

Never mind one fine day
In some bar by the harbor
I'll find you, I'll find you, I'll find you
And will dance to the ragtime
Yes, will dance to the ragtime
Will be dancin' to the ragtime
Yes, will dance to the ragtime

Whether live or recorded, Manilow is so much fun to listen to.  But when you have a man who can match his past self (from 20 years earlier) with his present self, note for note, you know you've got gold.  This is my favorite performance from Barry Manilow.  He did a show in Vegas that PBS recorded.  This was in the very beginning.  



Now you know what a Fanilow is.  I bet that you were singing along if you know these songs, unless you're my husband, who can't stand Barry Manilow because I've played his music so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...