Saturday, April 19, 2014

30 Days of Music: Day 27

Musicals



I LOVE MUSICALS!  I love the songs, the stories, and most of all.....I LOVE SINGING ALONG WITH THEM!  The following are some of my favorite songs from my favorite musicals.  Enjoy, and sing along!



Ramin Karminloo and Sierra Borgess played Phantom and Christine in the 25th anniversary of this fabulous musical.  I've spoken about this production many times, and it's still on Netflix for anyone that wants to see it.

Here is "Phantom of the Opera/Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera.






Guys and Dolls is another one of my favorite musicals.  Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando, and a bunch of fun songs.  The following is one of the first from the movie, "Nathan Detroit".






When I was young, Grease was popular in my house.   I had no idea that the musical was really about a bunch of sex-crazed teenagers, (one who thought she was pregnant!) I just loved the music and the dancing.  "Summer Nights" is one of my favorites from this musical.





Les Miserables is a work of art.  I love this musical so much that I've included 3 songs from it.

First up, "On My Own", by Lea Salonga.  This song pulls at my heartstrings every time I hear it!




Next up from Les Mis, "A Little Fall of Rain", by Michael Ball and Lea Salonga.  Just try to get through this song without crying....I dare you!  And then realize that these two are only standing in front of a microphone and they are getting these emotions out of you.  They are fantastic!




Finally from Les Mis, "Bring Him Home" by Colm Wilkinson.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again; this man's voice is liquid gold.  I could listen to him forever and never tire of him.





Funny Girl was one of the first musicals I remember watching.  I love the story about a girl who doesn't feel like she belongs anywhere, or is not pretty enough overcoming the odds and then making a name for herself.  One of my favorite songs is "Don't Rain On My Parade".





In 2001 the world discovered that young Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ewan McGregor, could sing....and could sing well!  Moulin Rouge introduced Ewan to those who didn't know him yet.  I could do without Nicole Kidman, so I listen to this soundtrack more than I actually watch the movie.

One of the reasons this movie is so great is because it took songs that were popular, or those that had already been written, and weaved them into medley's.  First up is my favorite from the movie, "Elephant Love Medley".




Next from Moulin Rouge is the Elton John song "Your Song".






Finally, we come to Dirty Dancing.  Where it isn't technically a musical, there is so much music from the 1950s in it that it almost counts.  The late Patrick Swayze was a triple threat.  He could dance, act, and we discovered from this movie that he could also sing.  A beautiful song, by a great actor.  Here is "She's Like The Wind".




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...