Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Star Wars Episode VII Cast Revealed!



I realize it's not Saturday, but the day has finally come.  The official announcement for the Star Wars Episode VII cast has been revealed.  Some names were no big surprise, other names I've never heard of.  Here is the official picture of the new cast:


J.J. Abrams tried to keep it quiet, but it didn't work.  We all knew that Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill were going to come back and play Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker.  Let's face it; you can't do another Star Wars without these 3 actors in these roles!  Carrie Fisher has clearly lost a lot of weight, and when rumors began floating this week that all 3 had been seen in London, all that was left was the official announcement.

There is an official article here that gives more detail.

I'm thrilled to see familiar faces.  Peter Mayhew is back as Chewbacca.   Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker will once again portray C3PO and R2-D2.

What I want to know is this:  who in the world are 5 of the 6 actors on the top of this picture?  It seems like Abrams has done what Lucas did before him...cast a bunch of unknowns.  For those of you (like myself) who can't read the names, here are the actors on the top row, in order.

Adam Driver
I've never heard of this man, and even after looking him up, I've never seen anything he's done, so I have no opinion about him.

Andy Serkis
Many of you know him as Gollum from Lord of the Rings.  I can't STAND this character; he's probably the biggest reason I don't watch those movies more often.  I'm also not familiar with any of his other work, so we'll see.

Daisy Ridley
She's an unknown British actress; doesn't even have a Wikipedia file!  Sorry, that's all I have for you!

Domhnall Gleeson
Apparently he was in a couple Harry Potter movies.  Since I've never seen those (close you mouth...you'll let flies in!) I have no idea who this guy is either.

John Boyega
Again, I have nothing for you

Max Von Sydow
This is the most "seasoned" actor of the entire cast, however, I'm still not familiar with his work. People are already speculating that he could be Obi-Wan Kenobi.  I'm sorry, I won't stand for this. Alec Guiness, the original Obi-Wan, is dead.  IF you want to bring him back as a "force ghost", Ewan McGregor could possibly do it.  Overall, I hope this is simply a rumor, because I HATE THAT IDEA!

Oscar Isaac
No clue who this guy is either!

The rumor mill is already spinning again.  This morning, an article about Harrison Ford came out. Read it here.  Considering he has always been very vocal about how he wanted Han Solo killed off at the end of The Empire Strikes Back, and how he would NEVER return to the Star Wars universe, this could be Harrison Ford's Star Wars swan song.  I can't figure out why he's doing this again.  Is it because he's no longer "hot stuff"?  He's over 70, and not considered a leading man in Hollywood anymore.  He definitely doesn't need the money, so why do it?  I'm thrilled he is, but my curiosity is killing me.

I hope that the people involved in this movie don't make the fans wait for plot information.  One of the biggest flaws with the prequels is that no one knew anything about the plot.  We waited, hoped, and prayed, believing we were going to get what we had in the original trilogy.  And when the stories sucked, we didn't have months to already put it past us and prepare for the fact that the stories weren't good.  Throw us information this time.  Give us time to digest, prepare, etc.

I'm still very skeptical about this whole thing.  I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath!

What do you think of the announcement?  It's too bad they didn't wait until this Sunday to tell the world:  Sunday is "International Star Wars Day", and people will be heard saying, "May the 4th Be With You"....seems like that would've been the perfect day!  Oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...