Friday, May 9, 2014

Could It Already Be Working?


The Toale Family

We are just over a week into the increased medication dose with Brandon and it looks like things might be turning around a little for Brandon.  His teachers are reporting that he is doing better at focusing in class, and sitting in his chair; he's also not walking around the room at inappropriate times.  He is much more in control of his emotions, and can handle himself better throughout the entire school day.

It hasn't been all smooth sailing though.  Today, Brandon had a pretty big meltdown.  Some of his classwork was misplaced, and even though Brandon knew that he had turned it in he had to move a card for not having it done.  Brandon has been working very hard the past 4 weeks to always have his card stay on green, so moving to yellow was upsetting for him.  (For those of you who are unfamiliar with what card moves are, it's the behavior system for Excelsior Academy. When a scholar in unprepared, or is disrespectful, etc., they move a colored card to help remind them to work harder)

Anyway, once Brandon was back in control of his emotions, and no longer screaming in the hallway (yikes!), he and his teacher talked about how sometimes mistakes will happen and when they do, we might have to do work over again.  His teacher also told me Brandon hadn't moved his card yet prior to their conversation.  He suddenly says to her, "Oh, I forgot to move my card.  Let me fix that."  Then he moved his card and was proud of himself for doing it.  The best part about this is that before he began medication, a meltdown like this would've tanked the rest of his day.  Today, he was able to completely turn his behavior and attitude around.

I originally heard about his meltdown during my lunch break.  Other teacher's had seen what was happening and let me know.  Brandon is in his math class while I'm at lunch.  Each day, I wait for Brandon after math and walk with him back to his homeroom class.  He lets me know how his day has been going.  After hearing about his meltdown, I was sure that he would break into tears when he saw me, like he has done so many times in the past.  Instead of looking defeated and crying, he had a slight smile on his face while he told me about what happened.  I was very proud of him.

After school he came running upstairs to my room and yelled with joy, "Mommy, I stayed on yellow...I did it!"



We're only a month into this process with Brandon.  I went back and forth about this decision for a while before finally taking him to the doctor.  For Brandon, treating him has made all the difference. There's not a doubt in my mind that I made the right decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...