What is The Worst Injury You've Ever Had?
I've been very lucky in life. In regards to injuries, I haven't had anything serious happen. I've never had a broken bone, or been in a car accident (please knock on wood!). Don't get me wrong; I've had surgeries, and minor procedures, so that's what I'll list. I'll probably forget some, and my dates are sketchy, but here goes nothing.
When I was just a kid, about 6 or 7, I had my tonsils removed. That was my first surgery and the best part about it was that for about two weeks all I could eat was ice cream and other soft, unhealthy foods. It was great!
I grew up having cats as pets. In fact, one of my cats looked just like the photo above! The next two stories revolve around my cats. I went to open a Kal Kan cat food can one evening and when I grabbed the lid, it sliced the underside of my right middle finger from left to right so badly that I had to have 5 stitches to fix it. That was probably the worst injury I've ever had.
When I was in my early teens the cat I had was named Tinkerbell (I think), but her behavior proved to be the complete opposite of her name. She was crazy, plain and simple. If you would try to pet her, she'd try to scratch you. One day I tempted fate and bent down to pet her. She dug her claws into the top side of my right hand and left a deep scratch. The scar is still very visible on my hand.
The biggest surgery I've ever had, next to my C-section with Brandon, is my VNS surgeries. I had the original device implanted in 2002. The battery has to be replaced every 7 years or so. My second battery was implanted in 2009 at UCSF (University of San Francisco). For some reason the battery didn't stay in place inside my chest, and it fell into the armpit of my left arm, causing me an EXTREME amount of pain. I had to go back to UCSF and have the surgery again so they could put the battery back in place. I have a huge, ugly scar from the surgeon having to cut open and pull it out!
My most recent VNS surgery was in November, 2013. I had to have the lead that "speaks" to the device replaced since it had broken, and the battery was changed out at the same time. This required them to slice into both my neck and the top of my chest. It was very uncomfortable!
Here's to hoping my injuries remain as small as they've been thus far in my life.