Saturday, July 19, 2014

30 Days of July, 2014: Day 19





Let's face it; we all have them. Certain things in life that make you want to scream, pull out your hair, or slap the person sitting closest to you! Journey with me today to discover my top 5 pet peeves in life.

#5:  Cleaning the bathroom/No toilet paper


I HATE CLEANING BATHROOMS! I have hated it for as long as I can remember, and will probably hate it until I'm dead. I don't know what it is that makes me despise this chore so very much, especially since a dirty bathroom isn't exactly a pleasant place to be. My skin just crawls at the very thought of it.


While we're talking about bathrooms, how many of you hate this? If you see the roll is empty, or near empty GRAB ANOTHER ROLL FOR THE NEXT PERSON!! There's nothing worse than be caught without this; and it's even worse if you're in a public restroom! I've learned to check for toilet paper before I use the restroom because this bothers me so much!




#4:  "Vaguebooking"


How many of us have either seen, or are culprits of doing this? When vague status updates come up, I ignore them because they drive me crazy! Who wants to scroll through their Facebook feed just to find this stuff? What's even more annoying is when friends give in and ask what the vague post was about, and the person STILL doesn't give any information!




#3: Slow music in church


Okay, let me clarify this. I have major issues with songs that are meant to be played fast, but are ALWAYS played slowly. The songs that drag on for what seems like an ETERNITY, and make you want to poke your eyes out with a fork because you wonder if they are ever going to end! Those of you who go to church know EXACTLY what I'm talking about and are laughing. As a pianist, it's my job to watch the chorister, and to play at the speed they are conducting.

I've heard the phrase "conducting is just waving your arm". I HATE THAT PHRASE, because it isn't true. Conducting music is a talent. Unfortunately, most people don't have time to learn it for church purposes. If I'm playing for a chorister who doesn't really know what they are doing, and are conducting slowly when the song needs to go faster, I will take off and play the song at the speed it should go! It's also annoying when you have a conductor who knows what they are doing and then you have a pianist who doesn't pay attention and plays slow....so frustrating!!

Here's an example of a song that is often played WAY TOO SLOW. In this clip, it is played perfectly.





#2:  People who use horrible grammar

This pet peeve hits home because I'm a teacher. The incorrect use of the English language is something we see more and more. Facebook and text messaging encourage this with their use of acronyms. People have become lazy, and simply don't care anymore. It's very frustrating.

I've always taken pride in my ability to spell and use the language correctly. There are certain words and phrases that I use wrong even today; no one is perfect! But I always try to speak using proper grammar.

Below are a few pictures that simply made me laugh out loud. These are probably the biggest "offenders" of words that are either spelled incorrectly, or actually said wrong.




Just this week, Weird Al released a song title "Word Crimes" that parodies how people use words and phrases wrong. On a side note, I'm so proud of the fact that I have NO IDEA what this song is. I've read articles about how horrible the lyrics are to the original song, and even Nick was stunned that I was listening to it...until he realized it was Weird Al!





#1:  Bad drivers

I don't know of anyone who can say that bad drivers don't make them want to pull out their hair! We battle bad driver's every single day on the road. If you can't follow the rules of the road, don't drive on it.


If the speed limit is 40mph; don't drive 30mph. People who don't drive the speed limit are dangerous, and very frustrating. Either drive, or walk to where you're going if you're going to drive slow enough that I could run beside you and be going faster than you!

Blinkers are our friend, and people should use them more often.

Tailgating is probably the worst thing you can do while driving. It is my biggest driving pet peeve. If I am in the fast lane, and I'm already going 5 miles over the speed limit, and the cars in the next lane are going slower than I am, don't expect me to move over for you! Not only do you put everyone else in harms way, but you look really stupid driving really fast, only to sit at the red light up ahead!


This is EXACTLY what I do if you are tailgating me! Is it any safer than tailgating? No. But I won't let you intimidate me into driving faster because you are a jerk!




So, there are my top 5 pet peeves!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...