Saturday, February 22, 2014

30 Days of TV: Day 9


A TV Show You Used to Watch, but Don't Anymore..and Why


I first caught this show years ago while I was watching reruns on A&E.  I fell in love with it, and was hooked.  I loved the characters, the plot developments, everything.



I loved the idea of a group of people who would profile bad guys (Behavioral Analysis Unit) in attempt to find them and bring them to justice.

The best story, by far, was The Reaper in season 5.

To make a very long story short, a man named George Foyet, a.k.a., "The Boston Reaper", was a serial killer that Aaron Hotchner had hunted 10 years earlier.  Foyet became the arch-nemesis of Aaron.  He shot Hotch at the end of season 4, and has been taunting him ever since then.

Foyet comes back to town and Aaron's ex-wife and son end up having to go into the Witness Protection program to keep them safe.  Foyet manages to track them down, killing the U.S. Marshal protecting them.  Foyet calls Haley (Hotchner's wife), and posing as an employee of the U.S. Marshal service, claims that her safety has been compromised and arranged for her to return home and meet her there, still posing as the Marshal.  During a phone conversation with Hotch, Haley is informed that the man in the room with her, Foyet, is The Reaper.  She puts the phone on speaker and Hotch instructs Jack (their son) to help him "work the case", and Jack runs off to an unknown location inside the house.  Hotch, and the rest of the BAU are racing to Hotch's home, and they hear a gun shot.

Hotch arrives at the home to find Haley dead, and he and Foyet engage in a brutal fight.  Hotch eventually beats Foyet to death, and has to have his friends take him off of Foyet once they finally arrive.  We then find out, through a flashback, that whenever Hotch was working, Jack would hide and say that he was also "working the case".  This was the hiding place that kept Jack safe from The Reaper.

Click here for a video about the story line.

Click here one more that goes deeper into the emotions of the story.  Listening to the conversation between Hotch and Haley is almost too much for me.

I cried and cried when this episode was on.  Heavens, I just cried watching this video.

So why, do you ask, did I stop watching the show?  Well, it simply got to be too gruesome, too graphic, and too violent.  And that is saying A LOT for me. I enjoy all of the criminal shows, but this one just became too much.  I was sad to have to let it go, but I just couldn't keep watching.  I did, however, watch the season finale episode years later when my beloved Jedi Knight, Luke Skywalker, (Mark Hamill) was discovered to be the bad guy....and he was a REALLY bad guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...