Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day Sixteen: A Song That Makes Me Cry

I don't know of a song that makes me cry.  There are a lot of songs that are touching, sweet, etc.  But a song that makes me cry?  That's a tough one.

So, off to YouTube I went, in search of a song that fit today's topic.  I spent a while looking around at different songs.  I watched Everything I Do (I Do It For You) by Bryan Adams, but no tears.  I found a few other "love songs" that I enjoy, but still nothing.

And then it dawned on me.  There is a song that makes me get goosebumps every time I hear it, and has the ability to sometimes make me cry.  Back in 1997 James Horner wrote the song My Heart Will Go On for the movie Titanic.   Now, I know what you might be thinking, "She only likes this song because of the movie, and cries because she thinks of Jack and Rose!"  No, not true.

Celine Dion always performs this song like it's the last song she's ever going to sing.  The emotions she conveys while performing this song are one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.  I have an incredible appreciation for music, and the artists who perform beautiful music.

Below is one of her many, many performances of My Heart Will Go On.  I picked this version because I'd never seen her perform this song with a grand piano.  I think being able to hear the piano adds so much to the song.


video


Another reason this song is so wonderful is because you can take Celine Dion's powerful voice away and still have an amazing song that gives people goosebumps.  I have the movie soundtrack and this song is played constantly in a simple instrumental form.  James Horner is an amazing composer.  With or without the beautiful lyrics, it quickly became one of the biggest songs ever written.

Below is the instrumental version heard throughout the movie. 

video


Which version do you prefer?  It's a tough call, but I prefer it with Celine Dion's powerhouse voice!

,

2 comments:

  1. that is a good song. i enjoy it, but it doesn't make me cry. its fun to read your blog. sorry i don't comment a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's okay. it's just great to know that people are actually reading this and that I'm not just writing to myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...