Friday, October 15, 2010

Day Seven: A Photo That Makes Me Happy/Laugh

I'll choose a picture that makes me laugh, and you'll see why in a minute.

First, a disclaimer:  in the event that the people involved in this story actually read this blog, I've changed names to protect their identity!!!!

On with the story:

When I was in 8th grade, our school did a production of The Sound of Music for it's annual play.  I was lucky enough to be cast in the role of Maria.  Having lost the part of Annie in 6th grade because I was too tall, and looked older, this was a glorious triumph for me!

The boy who was cast as the Captain, (we'll call him "K") was my friend, and he also had a girlfriend who we'll call "E".  She didn't like me at all (you'll find out why in a minute).  I found that ironic because she was also in the play, cast as the nun who always sticks up for Maria!

While reading the script, everyone discovered that the Captain and Maria were supposed to kiss.  Some people thought this was very funny, others weren't bothered by it, and some were VERY UPSET.  After K and I had talked about it, we decided that we would "fake" the kiss.  However, upon rehearsing the "fake" kiss, we were told by our director that it looked too fake, and decided to go ahead and kiss for real.  I don't recall it being that big a deal for us.  But it was a BIG DEAL for other people.

Apparently K and E hadn't kissed yet, and she didn't want him kissing me and not her....oooo, drama!  Remember, this was 8th grade and everything was always overdramatized, and not because we were acting in a play!  This is also why E didn't like me.  I guess she felt threatened by me and worried that I would take her place.  Me?  "Steal" a boy away?  Yeah, right!!!  This was hilarious to me, and it still makes me chuckle. 

So, what picture have I chosen?  A picture from the "wedding" scene.  




There was so much drama surrounding this picture, and we looked ridiculous!  Instead of displaying "passion and fire" like E and so many of her friends were afraid of, we look like the gawky 8th graders that we were!  

This picture is simply hilarious, and it makes me laugh each time I come across it.


1 comment:

  1. I love the line K said about when you were a little boy did a little girl kiss you. But the whole thing was funny now. All these girls so upset about something that is so silly now and over a boy who didn't want any girl. Good times.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...