Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm Loving Utah!!

There are wonderful things happening for our family here in Utah, and we haven't even been here two weeks yet!

I went to a substitute teaching orientation last week.  While there, I found out who the lady was that's in charge of hiring teachers.  I tracked her down and let her know I was qualified and anxious for any job!  My proactive approach paid off because last Friday I went to a "screening interview" for that same district.  I was told that I did really well on that interview, and I am now placed on the "teacher's pool" list, that includes only about 250 teachers who will be considered first for positions in the future.  That alone was enough to simply make me excited.

Yesterday something completely awesome happened.  The lady who was in charge of the substitute orientation called me and asked if I was interested in a long-term sub job.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  Of course, I would LOVE that.  It's my way into the district, and it's a job in the field I have my degree in!

I'll be taking over for a 2nd grade teacher (I LOVE SECOND GRADE) on Thursday because she's having knee replacement surgery.  She'll be out until at least the end of January, possibly later.  This is big surgery.

The school district requires long term subs to "observe" the classroom for two days before the teacher leaves.  Today was my first observation day.  The staff there is wonderful; so willing to help me in any way.  I met the Principal as well.  Oh, and I get paid to observe...SO COOL!


This is a picture of the school

I'm beyond excited.  The class is pretty well behaved.  But I know that as a sub, unless I'm careful they will try to take advantage of the fact that I'm not their "real" teacher. 

And the greatest part about this is that when this position ends, I've been told there are other positions waiting for me!

I spent 6, almost 7 years in one school district trying to fight my way through the door and not getting very far.  I'm here for 11 days and I've found a district that really likes me!  They have over 500 subs and they chose ME!  It's flattering, and such a confidence booster.

Here's to hoping I don't fall flat on my face! 

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Proof that you are where the Lord wants you to be. I am so happy for you!! I bet you are an awesome teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!!! The Lord has opened your window and is letting the blessing poor in! I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...