Thursday, December 16, 2010

Who Sings It Better?

Today we take three versions of a classic Disney movie song and pit them against each other to determine who sings it better!

Beauty And The Beast is one of my favorite Disney movies.  I love how they finally came up with a heroine who was educated, independent, knew what she wanted, and was dressed appropriately for a female Disney character!  (Yes, Ariel, and Jasmine, I'm talking about the two of you!!) 

First up, the version by Angela Lansbury, featured in the movie during the groundbreaking dinner/dancing scene.


One thing I've always enjoyed about Disney is how they take the main song from the movie and have famous singers cover it to be released as a single and play it during the credits of the movie.  A very young Celine Dion, and Peabo Bryson covered this song for that purpose.


When Disney re-released the movie AGAIN this year for the "diamond" edition, they had another artist cover the beloved song.  Jordin Sparks became the voice for the new, "hip" version.


Which do I prefer?  Well, the version by Angela Lansbury works great for the movie.  Cute Mrs. Potts singing the song is just what the scene calls for.

Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson made the song famous.

And Jordin Sparks?  I'll leave it at that.

I prefer the version by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson.  Here's what I don't understand though.  Why does Disney take a classic, famous, popular song and have someone else cover it so many years later?  I can't stand Jordin Sparks version.  It's the stupid pop version that is too fast, and has no real emotion to it like the other two versions.

Stop messing with classic songs, Disney; even if they are yours to mess around with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...