Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Who Sings It Better?

We're going to change it up a little today.  Instead of pitting two versions of a song by different artists against each other, I'm going to show you two versions of a song by the same artist.

Bryan Adams has always been one of my favorite artists.  He writes his own music, sings, plays instruments, I LOVE those artists!  Musicians who can do more than sing amaze me. 

Heaven has always been a song I enjoy.  Today you'll be hearing two versions of it, both by Bryan Adams.  First up, the original.  The video for the song is CHEESY, so try not to focus on that, but on the music!


Back in the day when MTV used to stand for "Music Television", they did a show called Unplugged that would feature artists doing their music acoustically.  For any who aren't sure what singing acoustically means, the artist basically "strips" the song of the "heavy" instruments; drums, electric guitar, etc, and they sing the melody with one or two "softer" instruments. 

Oh, and if you don't know what Unplugged is, I am sad for you.  There once was a time when MTV wasn't all reality shows about obnoxious people from Jersey and 16 year old girls who are pregnant, but instead focused on MUSIC!

Anyway, here is the acoustic version of Heaven


Which version do I prefer?  This is a hard one for me.  I grew up hearing the first version of Heaven; it's the version I fell in love with.  That being said, when I first heard the acoustic version of Heaven, I got goosebumps, and chills!  9 times out of 10 I will always choose the acoustic version of a song because it makes me feel like I'm right there when the artist first wrote the song, before all the "bells and whistles" of instruments were added.  Acoustic is the "raw" version, and I LOVE that.

Maybe it wasn't such a hard choice after all?!?

So, which do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...