Thursday, December 30, 2010

Who Sings It Better?


I start today's post with this clip because I LOVE Barry Manilow and I'm not afraid to say it!  This will be important in a few minutes.

Today's face-off will be over a song from 1987:  "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley.  I will admit, when this song first came out I really liked it.  I was young, it was the 80s, and I thought Rick Astley was cute....something about the red hair!

Here is his version of the song:

 
Barry Manilow decided to cover this song a few years ago. 


Remembering that I LOVE Barry Manilow, I will tell you now that his version is absolutely HORRIBLE!  I laughed, and was almost ashamed to say I LOVE Barry Manilow when I heard his cover of this song.  The video doesn't help his cause either; it's worse than Rick Astley's.  Barry is getting older, and where he still has an amazing voice, you can tell that he's had some work done on his face...it doesn't move the way it's supposed to!

I listened to the song again without watching Barry, and that seemed to help a bit.  He has some nice key changes and he does change the melody up.

Needless to say, it's obvious which version I prefer.  For the first time, Barry Manilow falls short and I prefer Rick Astley's version.

So, who sings it better?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...