Friday, April 4, 2014

30 Days of Music: Day 12

A Song You Liked When You Were Younger




I have been a fan of New Kids On The Block since I first heard "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" 25 years ago.  Man, that fact makes me feel REALLY OLD!  I was barely a teenager, and they were 5 very cute guys that could sing and dance.  It was a match made in heaven.

So, for today's topic, get ready to go back into the late 1980s, and early 1990s with me as we go down memory lane with New Kids On The Block.  I may have liked these songs when I was younger, but I still love them today.  Admit it ladies, you're looking forward to this!!!!




One of my absolute favorite songs by NKOTB is "Step by Step".  Besides having a really catchy tune, I enjoy the choreography in this video.




Back in 1992, or 1993, NKOTB did a HUGE Pay-per-View concert.  For reasons I can't remember, we didn't have access to Pay-per-View, so I called my grandma and asked her if she would tape the concert for me.  Surprisingly, she said she would.  When I watched the concert a few weeks later (after receiving the tape in the mail), I was so afraid of how my grandma reacted when she saw this next song.  COMPLETELY playing to the girls in the crowd, Jordan sings "Baby, I Believe In You" with his shirt almost off.  Jordan has always been my favorite, so I LOVED this part of the concert!  When I asked my grandma what she thought, she told me she really enjoyed it...I was stunned!




By 1994 most of NKOTB's fan base was growing up and moving on to other music.  Grunge was huge by now, and they just didn't fit in anymore.  By now, even Jon had left the group.  "If You Go Away" was one of the last songs they released, and still one of my favorites.




Fast forward about 15 years.  We've all grown up.  Members of NKOTB have married, had children, and divorced.  Jon is gay.  NKOTB makes quite a big come back in 2008 when they appeared on The Today Show.  Face it:  the young girl inside all of us never really grows up.  NKOTB found their fan base again.  We had been waiting for this moment for YEARS! 


I wasn't a big fan of their album The Block, that came out in 2008.  It felt like they were just trying too hard.  Their videos were a little creepy, and I just wasn't impressed.  They went on tour, and did pretty well though.

At the end of 2013, they released another album, Ten.


I have to admit, I really like this album.  It has a more grown up feel, and it doesn't feel like they are trying to recapture their youth, but move forward with their music.

NKOTB went back to The Today Show and began promoting the album.  The first track off the album is titled "We Own Tonight".




MUCH BETTER than the last album.  I was getting excited.  Their first single was "Remix (I Like The)".  I love this song!  The video is fun, and this song gets stuck in your head and won't stop.  Even Brandon loves singing this song!!  There isn't one song on this album that I don't like...which is rare.  Usually there's at least one or two songs on an album that I don't like.



So, there it is; my walk down memory lane.  These are a few of the songs I liked when I was younger, and songs that I still love today!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...